The incident of the killing of an American tourist by the Sentinel tribe
of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands is under discussion for quite days. It was being told in media reports that American tourist John Allen Chow wanted to preach Christianity on Sentinel Island but was attacked and killed by tribals of the Sentinel tribe.
Actually, the Sentinel tribe has been isolated from the world for thousands of years. It is believed that they are staying away from the world because they want to stay away from the diseases of common people. India's anthropologist Triloknath Pandit is the only person who was successful in establishing contact with this tribe. He made many trips to the island between the years 1966 and 1991.
After the killing US citizen John Allen, the fishermen told the police that they were trying to reach the island of Sentinelis on 14 November 2018, but were unsuccessful. Two days after the first attempt was unsuccessful, John arrived on the island again on 16 November, with full preparations, during which he left his boat midway and entered the island with some more luggage with tents.
Local fishermen told the media that as John stepped into the island, the tribals of the Sentinelis community attacked him with arrows. After John's assassination, the people of the Sentinelis community tied his body in a rope and dragged him to the beach and buried the body in the sand. Seeing this incident, the fishermen fled fearfully there.
The people of the Sentinel tribe do not cultivate nor raise animals. They consume fruits, honey, tuber, pig, turtle, fish.
• They have neither eaten salt nor tasted sugar yet. It is said that these people do not even know how to light a fire.
According to Indian anthropologist Triloknath Pandit, who has contact with this tribe, his group has no head but honors are given to the skilled people who make arrows, spears, baskets, huts etc.
• The tribes of these islands do not marry in close relationships.
According to the information, the children of this tribe start standing on their feet, from then on they start training them to make arrows so that they grow up to become skilled and get respect.
There are also various practices of the Sentinel tribe in which some are quite interesting. For example, if someone dies in a hut in these tribes, then no one lives in that hut.
• When sick, only herbs and prayers are used. These tribes also believe in ghosts. They have good and evil ghosts in their eyes and they worship them as well.
• Similarly, the tribals of the 'Jarawa tribe' live in the Andaman Islands in the South and Central Islands. Jarawa men and women are usually naked. They wear some jewelery, leaves on the lower body or small pieces of cloth.
• Tribals of Jarawa tribe are dark black in color and small in stature. If the color of the child is a little blond, then he believes that his father belongs to another community, and kills the child. For which there is no punishment in the community. Police are ordered not to interfere in this.
• People of the Jarawa tribe hunt animals with arrow bows and spears and accept them as food. It is said that these people also consider honey as a favorite food. Their population has been seen to decrease every year, according to an estimate, their population is currently between 250 and 400.
• In the year 1956, five tribes of Andaman and Nicobar including Jarawa were given the status of native tribes including the Great (Great) Andamanese, Ongae and Sentinali.